When High Expectations Hurt: 4 Steps To Unlearn Perfectionist Tendencies & To Ease Anxiety
Do you ever feel like no matter what you do you won’t be good enough? Have you ever thought that you have to give 110% just to feel worthy? You’re not alone — You might be struggling with perfectionism, a mix of overly criticizing yourself and holding excessively high or unattainable expectations for yourself. In a society where performance is prioritized and competition is valued, perfectionism may seem like a good thing – even essential – for surviving and thriving.
However, it turns out that striving for perfection actually produces negative outcomes on mental health. Perfectionism has been linked to disordered eating, compulsive exercise, depression, anxiety disorders, self-harm, low self-esteem, and even suicide. As an interdependent species, we often base our worth on external validation, meaning that how we perform or are perceived by others determines how we feel about ourselves and how much self-confidence we have. Self-compassion can be the remedy for challenging perfectionism and easing anxiety.
Here’s how to get started in disentangling your relationship with perfectionism.
1. EXAMINE THE ROOT OF THE ISSUE.
2. LISTEN TO SELF-TALK + IMAGINE HOW YOU’D SPEAK TO A FRIEND.
3. DIP YOUR TOES INTO SELF-COMPASSION AND ALLOW YOURSELF TO MAKE MISTAKES.
4. FOCUS ON PROGRESS AND PROCESS OVER PERFECTION.
Ready to Begin Online Anxiety Therapy in Austin, Texas?
If you are struggling with the anxiety brought on by unrealistic expectations placed on you, our skilled therapists are here to help you. At Autonomy Therapy, we are here to create a non-judgmental, caring environment for you. You don’t have to handle this alone. Let our therapists help you today:
- Fill out a consultation form to describe a little about you!
- Use our book now page if you know who you want to see and are ready to book your initial call.
- Get started cultivating a life of joy for your inner child today.